Medical Assistant I (8345/36 weeks, 280 hours) Course Description
|Duration:||36 weeks, 280 hours|
|Suggested Grade Levels:||11|
Students gain foundational knowledge in basic anatomy and physiology, medical ethics, medical asepsis, terminology, medical mathematics, and legal responsibilities. Students also develop basic skills and techniques to assist the healthcare provider and/or other medical professionals in patient examinations, basic emergency care, simple laboratory tests, and administrative duties. Additionally, students explore medical assisting career pathways through Health Occupations Student Association (HOSA) and potential on-the-job clinical instruction and/or observation in a healthcare facility.
Recommended prerequisite(s): Introduction to Health and Medical Sciences 8302
NOTE: This course has specific state laws and regulations from a governing medical board or agency. Please contact the Virginia Department of Education, Office of Career and Technical Education prior to implementing this course. All inquiries may be sent to email@example.com.
Career Clusters and Pathways
For federal reporting (choose one)
- Health Science
- Biotechnology Research and Development
- Diagnostics Services
- Health Informatics
- Support Services
- Therapeutic Services
Upon completion of the course
- Certified EKG Technician (CET) Examination (AAH)
- Certified EKG Technician (CET) Examination (NHA)
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) Examination
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) Examination (AAH)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) Examination (NHA)
- College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA+)
- Medical Administration Assistant Certification (MAAC) Examination
- Medical Assistant Certification (MAC) Examination
- Mental Health Technician Certification (MHTC) Examination
- National Career Readiness Certificate Assessment
- National Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NCPT) Examination
- Nationally Registered Certified EKG Technician (NRCEKGT) Examination
- Nationally Registered Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NRCPT) Examination
- Phlebotomy Technician Certification (PTC) Examination
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination
A combination of the course above and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses appropriate to their career pathways.
Check the course description for any course listed below, because some may have a prerequisite.