Demonstrate proper hand-washing technique.
DefinitionDemonstration should include
- elements of effective hand washing according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) standards
- use of hand sanitizers (hand hygiene).
For students taking the nurse aide credential at the end of the course, follow the Virginia Board of Nursing regulations:
Commonwealth of Virginia Regulations
Governing Certified Nurse Aides
Virginia Board of Nursing
- What are major pathogens?
- What criteria do you use to ensure a clean, safe, environment?
- What are the major symptoms of infection?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
The student will analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and organize information from a variety of credible resources to produce a research product.
- Frame, analyze, and synthesize information to solve problems, answer questions, and generate new knowledge.
- Analyze information gathered from diverse sources by identifying misconceptions, main and supporting ideas, conflicting information, point of view, or bias.
- Critically evaluate the accuracy, quality, and validity of the information.
- Cite sources for both quoted and paraphrased ideas using a standard method of documentation, such as that of the Modern Language Association (MLA) or the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Define the meaning and consequences of plagiarism and follow ethical and legal guidelines for gathering and using information.
- Demonstrate ethical use of the Internet.