Identify methods of assisting patients in exercising and protecting their rights.
DefinitionIdentification should include
- ways the MHT can assist the patient in exercising the Patient’s Bill of Rights
- importance of maintaining confidentiality
- difficulties encountered in protecting rights of the patient in need of mental healthcare services.
- How is the Patient's Bill of Rights applied to the field of mental health care delivery?
- In what ways can the MHT protect confidentiality of the patient's information?
- How has Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) impacted the delivery of mental healthcare?
- How can you differentiate between patient rights and patient responsibilities?
- In what ways might community safety conflict with the rights of the patient?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand that in a democratic republic, thoughtful and effective participation in civic life is characterized by
- exercising personal character traits such as trustworthiness, responsibility, and honesty;
- obeying the law and paying taxes;
- serving as a juror;
- participating in the political process and voting in local, state, and national elections;
- performing public service;
- keeping informed about current issues;
- respecting differing opinions and the rights of others;
- practicing personal and fiscal responsibility;
- demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that foster the responsible and respectful use of digital media; and
- practicing patriotism.