Explain the mechanism and physical effects of opioids on the human body.
Explanation should include the following:
- Mechanism of action and metabolism of opioids
- Development of tolerance, dependence, and addiction
- Health consequences of drug misuse
- HIV, hepatitis, and other infectious diseases
- Cardiovascular effects
- Respiratory effects
- Gastrointestinal effects
- Musculoskeletal effects
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Neurological effects
- Hormonal effects
- Prenatal effects
- Other health effects
- Mental health effects
- Timeframe (i.e., peaks of withdrawal symptoms)
- Physical signs (e.g., nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, cold flashes)
- What are the short- and long-term effects of withdrawal dependence symptoms?
- How long can the human body function while exhibiting the symptoms of withdrawal?
- What are other medical conditions that may arise because of the symptoms of physical dependence?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.