Describe the effects of opioid dependency on the human body systems.
Description should include the short- and long-term effects of opioids on the following:
- Nervous system
- Respiratory system
- Circulatory system
- Digestive system
- Skeletal system
Resource: Drugs and Your Body, Scholastic
- How does the misuse of opioids affect nutrition and weight loss?
- How might opioid misuse be evident in a person’s vital signs?
- How do opioids affect the brain as the control center for homeostasis?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.