CTE Resource Center - Verso - Pharmacy Technician II Task 892628051
Provide medication to a patient/patient's representative.
Provision of medication should include the following steps:
- Store medication prior to distribution.
- Verify identification of recipient by facility policy.
- Deliver medication to a patient/patient's representative (e.g., by hand, mail, pneumatic tube, robotics).
- Place medication in dispensing system (e.g., unit-dose cart, robotics).
- Deliver medication to patient-care unit, as applicable.
- Record distribution of prescription medication.
- Record distribution of controlled substances.
- Record distribution of investigational drugs.
- Maintain confidentiality of transaction.
- What is an investigational drug? Why are such drugs important?
- Who may participate in the use of an investigational drug?
- What types of documentation are associated with the distribution of controlled substances?
- What types of systems exist to dispense and store controlled substances?
Other Related Standards
HOSA Competitive Events
Health Science Events
Knowledge Test: Pharmacology
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Examination Required Knowledge
I. Assisting the Pharmacist in Serving Patients
I.1. Knowledge of federal, state, and/or practice site regulations, codes of ethics, and standards pertaining to the practice of pharmacy
I.2. Knowledge of pharmaceutical, medical, and legal developments which impact on the practice of pharmacy
I.5. Knowledge of generic and brand names of pharmaceuticals
I.6. Knowledge of therapeutic equivalence
I.15. Knowledge of drug information sources including printed and electronic reference materials
I.20. Knowledge of practice site policies and procedures regarding prescriptions or medication orders
I.30. Knowledge of medical and surgical appliances and devices (for example, ostomies, orthopedic devices, pumps)
I.32. Knowledge of automated dispensing technology
I.35. Knowledge of purpose for lot numbers and expiration dates
I.36. Knowledge of information for prescription or medication order label(s)
I.42. Knowledge of requirements for mailing medications
I.43. Knowledge of delivery systems for distributing medications (for example, pneumatic tube, robotics)
I.44. Knowledge of requirements for dispensing controlled substances
I.45. Knowledge of requirements for dispensing investigational drugs
I.46. Knowledge of record-keeping requirements for medication dispensing
I.68. Knowledge of documentation requirements for controlled substances, investigational drugs, and hazardous wastes
I.73. Knowledge of confidentiality requirements