Differentiate among the types of health insurance.
DefinitionDifferentiation should include
- preferred provider organization (PPO)
- health maintenance organization (HMO)
- private insurance
- managed care
- workers’ compensation
- State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)
- Affordable Care Act
- diagnosis-related groups
- Health Savings Accounts
- Railroad Retirement Program benefits
- Veterans Affairs benefits.
- Why are there various types of health insurance?
- Who determines who is eligible for various types of health insurance?
- What happens to patients who are not insured?
- How are Medicare and Medicaid similar? How are they different?
- How has the development of managed care impacted the cost of medical care?
- What is the difference between an HMO and a PPO?
- What is the purpose of workers’ compensation?
- What does the Affordable Care Act provide related to coverage, cost, and care?
- What happens to citizens who do not comply with the “minimum essential” health insurance coverage requirement?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.