Interpret common abbreviations used in phlebotomy and basic medical laboratory terminology related to phlebotomy.
DefinitionInterpretation should include the definition and explanation of the following terms or abbreviations:
- What are the meanings of BUN, CBC, PT, and PTT?
- What is the difference between a CHEM 7 and SMAC 7?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will apply knowledge of word origins, derivations, and figurative language to extend vocabulary development in authentic texts.
- Use structural analysis of roots, affixes, synonyms, and antonyms, to understand complex words.
- Use context, structure, and connotations to determine meanings of words and phrases.
- Discriminate between connotative and denotative meanings and interpret the connotation.
- Explain the meaning of common idioms, and literary and classical allusions in text.
- Extend general and cross-curricular vocabulary through speaking, listening, reading, and writing.