Define abbreviations and medical terms.
DefinitionDefinition should include standard/pharmaceutical abbreviations/symbols and the meanings of common Latin and Greek abbreviations, symbols, and acronyms, such as:
- PRN – as needed
- G0P0 – grava 0, para 0 (i.e., no pregnancies and no live births)
- H&P – history and physical
- ♀ - female
- ♂ - male
- DOA – dead on arrival
- CHF – congestive heart failure
- bid – twice a day
- Bx – biopsy
- Rx – prescription
- Why are abbreviations, symbols, and acronyms used in health care?
- Why are there regional differences in abbreviations, symbols, and acronyms?
- Why is it important to know a facility’s approved abbreviations list?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will apply knowledge of word origins, derivations, and figurative language to extend vocabulary development in authentic texts.
- Use structural analysis of roots, affixes, synonyms, and antonyms, to understand complex words.
- Use context, structure, and connotations to determine meanings of words and phrases.
- Discriminate between connotative and denotative meanings and interpret the connotation.
- Explain the meaning of common idioms, and literary and classical allusions in text.
- Extend general and cross-curricular vocabulary through speaking, listening, reading, and writing.