Define types of abuse and neglect.
DefinitionDefinition should include
- sexual abuse/ harassment
- substance abuse
- domestic violence/intimate partner abuse
- financial abuse
- verbal abuse
- physical abuse
- mental abuse
- child abuse and neglect
- elder abuse and neglect.
- What are examples of the various types of abuse?
- Can criminal charges be filed for abuse and neglect? Explain.
Related Standards of Learning
The student will apply knowledge of word origins, derivations, and figurative language to extend vocabulary development in authentic texts.
- Use structural analysis of roots, affixes, synonyms, and antonyms, to understand complex words.
- Use context, structure, and connotations to determine meanings of words and phrases.
- Discriminate between connotative and denotative meanings and interpret the connotation.
- Explain the meaning of common idioms, and literary and classical allusions in text.
- Extend general and cross-curricular vocabulary through speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.