Identify the major structures and functions of the endocrine system.
DefinitionIdentification should include the structures and functions of the organs and glands, as well as the overall function, of the endocrine system:
- Organs of the endocrine system include the pancreas, the thymus, ovaries, and testes.
- Glands of the endocrine system include the pituitary gland, the thyroid gland, the parathyroid glands, and the pineal gland.
- The endocrine system functions in secreting hormones that affect or regulate body organs.
- What is the role of insulin after eating a meal?
- What are the signs of hypoglycemia?
- What is the function of a hormone?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand life functions of Archaea, Bacteria, and Eukarya. Key concepts include
- comparison of their metabolic activities;
- maintenance of homeostasis;
- how the structures and functions vary among and within the Eukarya kingdoms of protists, fungi, plants, and animals, including humans;
- human health issues, human anatomy, and body systems;
- how viruses compare with organisms; and
- evidence supporting the germ theory of infectious disease.