Identify the parts and functions of a cell.
DefinitionIdentification should include
- the parts of a cell, as well as the location and function of DNA and RNA within a cell
- the units of organization in the body from simplest (i.e., cells) to the most complex (i.e., systems).
- What is the relationship between cell shapes and cell functions?
- What are the functions of the major organelles?
- How does DNA affect genetics?
- What is mitosis?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand common mechanisms of inheritance and protein synthesis. Key concepts include
- cell growth and division;
- gamete formation;
- cell specialization;
- prediction of inheritance of traits based on the Mendelian laws of heredity;
- historical development of the structural model of DNA;
- genetic variation;
- the structure, function, and replication of nucleic acids;
- events involved in the construction of proteins;
- use, limitations, and misuse of genetic information; and
- exploration of the impact of DNA technologies.