Identify body cavities and the organs within these cavities.
DefinitionIdentification should include the location of each major body cavity:
- Dorsal cavity (containing the cranial cavity, spinal cavity)
- Ventral cavity (containing the thoracic cavity, abdominal cavity, pelvic cavity)
- What major organs are contained in each body cavity?
- Why is this information important to medical personnel?
- What is the location of the diaphragm, in relation to the body cavities?
- What is the function of the diaphragm?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand life functions of Archaea, Bacteria, and Eukarya. Key concepts include
- comparison of their metabolic activities;
- maintenance of homeostasis;
- how the structures and functions vary among and within the Eukarya kingdoms of protists, fungi, plants, and animals, including humans;
- human health issues, human anatomy, and body systems;
- how viruses compare with organisms; and
- evidence supporting the germ theory of infectious disease.