Describe the treatment models of addiction therapy.
Description should include
- a recognition that addiction is a chronic disease
- evidence-based treatment models for addiction in general and opioid addiction in particular
- medication-assisted treatment
- the continuum of care in opioid addiction treatment
- how and when to make a referral for treatment
- the roles in an interdisciplinary addiction team
- the role of peers in the treatment of addiction
- the difference between a drug culture and recovery culture
- the management of patients in recovery, including factors contributing to relapse.
- How many treatment models exist for addiction therapy? Why is one model better than the other?
- What are the advantages of evidence-based treatments and models?
- What medication-assisted treatment programs are available? Who provides them?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.