Differentiate between standard and transmission-based precautions.
DefinitionDifferentiation should include the following:
- For standard precautions, dispose of biohazardous materials properly, as dictated by OSHA, including sharps containers and red bags, and follow exposure control plans in the event of occupational exposure.
- For transmission-based precautions, wear personal protective equipment (PPE) while following standard precautions, including such items as gloves, gowns, masks, shoe covers.
- What are PPE items? What are their protective values?
- What are some factors that could harm you even when using PPE?
- What is the difference between a recommendation and a regulation?
- What are the roles of the CDC and OSHA?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.