Interpret common abbreviations used in the healthcare field.
DefinitionInterpretation should include providing the meanings of common Latin and Greek abbreviations, symbols, and acronyms, such as:
- PRN – as needed
- G0P0 – grava 0, para 0 (no pregnancies and no live births)
- H&P – history and physical
- ♀ - female
- ♂ - male
- DOA – dead on arrival
- CHF – congestive heart failure
- bid – twice a day
- Bx – biopsy
- Rx – prescription
- Why are abbreviations, symbols, and acronyms used in health care?
- Why are there regional differences in abbreviations, symbols, and acronyms?
- Why is it important to distinguish when upper- and lower-case letters, abbreviations, or acronyms are used?
- Why is it important to know a facility’s approved abbreviations list?
- Why are some medical abbreviations no longer used?
Related Standards of Learning
- Use structural analysis of roots, affixes, synonyms, and antonyms to understand complex words.
- Use context, structure, and connotations to determine meanings of words and phrases.
- Discriminate between connotative and denotative meanings and interpret the connotation.
- Identify the meaning of common idioms.
- Explain the meaning of literary and classical allusions and figurative language in text.
- Extend general and cross-curricular vocabulary through speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
- Apply knowledge of text features and organizational patterns to understand, analyze, and gain meaning from texts.
- Make inferences and draw conclusions based on explicit and implied information using evidence from text as support.
- Analyze the author’s qualifications, viewpoint, and impact.
- Recognize an author’s intended purpose for writing and identify the main idea.
- Summarize, paraphrase, and synthesize ideas, while maintaining meaning and a logical sequence of events, within and between texts.
- Identify characteristics of expository, technical, and persuasive texts.
- Identify a position/argument to be confirmed, disproved, or modified.
- Evaluate clarity and accuracy of information.
- Analyze, organize, and synthesize information in order to solve problems, answer questions, complete a task, or create a product.
- Differentiate between fact and opinion and evaluate their impact.
- Analyze ideas within and between selections providing textual evidence.
- Use the reading strategies to monitor comprehension throughout the reading process.
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand ancient Greece in terms of its impact on Western civilization by
- locating Greek civilizations in time and place and describing their major geographic features;
- describing the social and religious structure of ancient Greece;
- describing the cultural development of Athens and Sparta, with emphasis on the significance of citizenship and the development of democracy;
- evaluating the political and economic development of Greece, with emphasis on the Persian and Peloponnesian wars;
- evaluating the significance of the conquest of Greece by Macedonia and the formation and spread of Hellenistic culture by Alexander the Great; and
- citing and explaining contributions in drama, poetry, history, sculpture, architecture, science, mathematics, and philosophy, with emphasis on Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.
The student will apply social science skills to understand ancient Rome from about 700 B.C. (B.C.E.) to 500 A.D. (C.E.) in terms of its impact on Western civilization by
- locating Roman civilizations in time and place and describing their major geographic features;
- describing the social and religious structure of ancient Rome;
- describing the social structure and cultural development of the Roman Republic;
- describing and evaluating the political and military structure of the Roman Republic under the rule of Julius Caesar;
- describing and evaluating the political structure of the Roman Empire under the rule of Augustus Caesar;
- assessing the economic structure of Rome, Rome’s imperial conquests, and the Pax Romana; and
- evaluating the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the Germanic invasions.