Create learning centers that encourage a child’s interests, exploration, discovery, and development.
DefinitionCreation of learning centers should include grouping materials and equipment around common activities in areas that fit the unique interests, needs (e.g., trauma), and characteristics of the child population. The choices regarding learning centers should reflect available space and materials, budgetary constraints, the developmental levels of the children, and applicable licensing regulations.
- Why should creativity be encouraged in children?
- What teaching strategies encourage children to exercise their creativity?
- What criteria should be used in designing a learning center that encourages a child's interests, exploration, discovery, and development?
- What are the consequences of providing/not providing a learning center designed to encourage a child's interests, exploration, discovery, and development?
- What are licensing regulations for learning centers in the state of Virginia?
- What are learning centers that can be set up in a classroom? (e.g., dramatic play, art, reading, block building, etc.)
- How can the standards for designing a developmentally appropriate learning center be communicated to an employee?
- What can one do to identify the developmental needs and interests of children?
- What skills are needed to design a developmentally appropriate learning center?
- What should be done to ensure that the design process provides for children's needs?
- What are the resources needed to design a developmentally appropriate learning center?
- What are the steps in designing a developmentally appropriate learning center that complies with state regulations?
Other Related Standards
FCCLA National Programs
Power of One: A Better You
Power of One: Family Ties
Power of One: Working on Working
FCCLA: STAR Events (2019)
Early Childhood Education
Focus on Children
National Programs in Action
Teach and Train
National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Arrange the classroom environment to provide for learners' exploration, discovery, development, and reflection through multiple methods including learning centers.