Early Childhood, Education, and Services I (8285/36 weeks, 280 hours) Course Description
|Duration:||36 weeks, 280 hours|
|Suggested Grade Levels:||11–12|
Students prepare to be primary providers of home-, family-, or institution-based childcare services by focusing on the planning, organizing, and conducting of meaningful play and learning activities; child monitoring and supervision; recordkeeping and referral procedures; and work-based learning experiences in on-site labs, local daycare centers, elementary schools, and other institutions under the supervision of the instructor. Students also prepare for continuing education leading to careers in early childhood fields (e.g., medical, social services, education).
Recommended prerequisite(s): Introduction to Early Childhood, Education, and Services 8234/8233
As noted in Superintendent’s Memo #058-17 (2-28-2017), this Career and Technical Education (CTE) course must maintain a maximum pupil-to-teacher ratio of 20 students to one teacher, due to safety regulations. The 2016-2018 biennial budget waiver of the teacher-to-pupil ratio staffing requirement does not apply.
Career Clusters and Pathways
For federal reporting (choose one)
- Education and Training
- Administration and Administrative Support
- Professional Support Services
- Teaching and Training
Upon completion of the course
- Child Development Associate (CDA) Assessment
- College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA+)
- Early Childhood Development and Services Assessment
- Early Childhood Education and Care—Advanced Assessment
- Early Childhood Education and Care—Basic Assessment
- Early Childhood Education Assessment
- Leadership Essentials Assessment
- National Career Readiness Certificate Assessment
- ParaPro Assessment
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination
A combination of the course above and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses appropriate to their career pathways.
Check the course description for any course listed below, because some may have a prerequisite.