Complete an admission application for a postsecondary institution.
Completion should include
- obtaining the application
- completing the required information with 100 percent accuracy
- providing supporting documentation
- submitting the application by the deadline.
- What supporting documentation is needed for an application package?
- Why is thoroughness important when completing an application?
- What role does writing play in a successful job application?
- Why is it critical to comply with application instructions?
- What personal marketing strategies are needed when completing an application?
- What strategies can be used to gather references and other supporting documentation?
- What skills and abilities should be conveyed on a postsecondary application?
- What resources are available to aid completion of the application?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
The student will write in a variety of forms to include persuasive/argumentative reflective, interpretive, and analytic with an emphasis on persuasion/argumentation.
- Apply components of a recursive writing process for multiple purposes to create a focused, organized, and coherent piece of writing to address a specific audience and purpose.
- Produce arguments in writing that develop a thesis to demonstrate knowledgeable judgments, address counterclaims, and provide effective conclusions.
- Use a variety of rhetorical strategies to clarify and defend a position organizing claims, counterclaims, and evidence in a sustained and logical sequence.
- Blend multiple forms of writing including embedding a narrative to produce effective essays.
- Adapt evidence, vocabulary, voice, and tone to audience, purpose, and situation.
- Use words, phrases, clauses, and varied syntax to connect all parts of the argument creating cohesion from the information presented.
- Revise writing for clarity of content, depth of information, and technique of presentation.
- Write and revise to a standard acceptable both in the workplace and in postsecondary education.
- Write to clearly describe personal qualifications for potential occupational or educational opportunities.
Other Related Standards
FCCLA National Programs
Career Connection: My Career
Career Connection: My Life
Career Connection: My Path
Career Connection: My Skills
Power of One: A Better You
Power of One: Working on Working
FCCLA: STAR Events (2019)
Check the national FCCLA portal.
National Programs in Action
National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Analyze career paths within the food production and food services industries.