Demonstrate garde manger techniques.
Demonstration should include
- creative, advanced arrangement of various food products, using appropriate garnishes (e.g., edible flowers, fruit, vegetables, cheese carvings)
- cooked food displayed cold (e.g., forcemeats, pâtés, terrines)
- preparation of displays of fruit and cheese, crudités, antipasto, salads and salad dressings, and desserts.
- What specialty tools are needed for garde manger tasks?
- What distinguishes garde manger from other forms of preparation?
- Why is it important to read and comprehend the customer contract?
- Why is communication needed between the chef garde manger and the rest of the staff?
- What are some examples of unique duties performed by the chef garde manger?
- Who designates garde manger tasks?
- What is the production flow for garde manger service?
- How can garde manger contribute to the overall dining experience?
- Why are quality food and equipment essential to the operation of the garde manger?
Other Related Standards
FCCLA National Programs
Career Connection: My Career
Career Connection: My Life
Career Connection: My Path
Career Connection: My Skills
Power of One: A Better You
Power of One: Working on Working
FCCLA: STAR Events (2019)
Check the national FCCLA portal.
National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Demonstrate professional food preparation methods and techniques for all menu categories to produce a variety of food products that meet customer needs.