Identify baking and pastry ingredients and their functions.
Identification should include
- flour and starch types
- fats, oils, and shortenings
- leavening agents
- types of sugar and other sweeteners
- egg products
- types of chocolate
- types of nut and nut products.
- Why does the type of flour matter when preparing a formula or recipe?
- Why is it important to use the correct fat, oil, or shortening product?
- Why is the proper labeling of baking products important?
- Who determines what ingredients should be purchased?
- What is the best way to train employees on the use of specific ingredients?
Other Related Standards
FCCLA National Programs
Career Connection: My Career
Career Connection: My Life
Career Connection: My Path
Career Connection: My Skills
Power of One: A Better You
Power of One: Working on Working
FCCLA: STAR Events (2019)
Check the national FCCLA portal.
National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Demonstrate professional food preparation methods and techniques for all menu categories to produce a variety of food products that meet customer needs.