Evaluate job opportunities.
Evaluation of each job opportunity should include using resources such as the United States Census Bureau, the Virginia Occupational Outlook, and the Virginia Employment Commission to gather information on
- duties and responsibilities of the job
- educational background needed or preferred
- skills needed
- working hours
- working conditions
- other benefits (e.g., leave policies, retirement, and other benefits).
- What information is available concerning jobs in family and human services?
- How can that information be obtained?
- How can the validity of sources of job information be evaluated?
- What communication skills are necessary to gather and evaluate job information?
- How are benefits and disadvantages of a job evaluated?
- What information is needed before one can make thoughtful job evaluations?
- What leadership techniques can be used to gather and evaluate job information?
- What is an effective decision-making process to use when gathering and evaluating job information?
- What management skills are involved in a job search?
- What resources are needed to gather and evaluate job information?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
Other Related Standards
FCCLA National Programs
A Better You
Working on Working
FCCLA: STAR Events (2019)
Check the national website for Skill Events
Check the national website for online events
Life Event Planning
National Programs in Action
National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Analyze career paths within family and human services.
Summarize education and training requirements and opportunities for career paths in family and human services.