Identify ways to facilitate independence of older adults who need assistance.
Identification should include
- home modification
- retraining and employment
- educational and recreational activities
- socialization activities (including volunteerism)
- community resources.
- How can one encourage an older client to care for himself/herself?
- What can a professional do to give an older client the opportunity to make decisions for himself/herself?
- What are the benefits to an older client when he/she maintains independence?
- In what ways might a human services professional help an older adult retain independence?
- How would a human services professional communicate the importance of an older adult continuing to make decisions concerning his/her life?
- What are appropriate ways to make necessary and useful human services referrals?
- Why is it important to have proper training to assist clients with daily living activities?
- What role should community resources play in the training of families and human services providers?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
Other Related Standards
FCCLA National Programs
A Better You
Meet the Challenge
Working on Working
FCCLA: STAR Events (2019)
Chapter Service Project Display
Check the national website for Skill Events
Check the national website for online events
Life Event Planning
National Programs in Action
National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Analyze community-networking opportunities in family and human services.
Analyze the impact of conditions that could influence the well-being of individuals and families.
Describe needs and accommodations for people with a variety of conditions that could affect their well-being.
Demonstrate ways to provide support that validates the participants' capabilities and right to privacy, dignity, and autonomy.