Describe the types of care needed when maintaining and storing clothing.
Description should include
- methods of cleaning, ironing, and steaming clothes
- basic clothing repairs (e.g., replacing buttons and zippers, sewing loose or torn seams)
- options for protecting clothing during storage.
- Why is it important to know how to maintain clothing? What are the financial implications of careful cleaning and repair of clothes?
- What kinds of care instructions are included on clothing labels?
- What is the role of government regulations in the maintenance of clothing?
- What vocabulary is essential for you to use in order to decide the type of care needed for clothing?
- What questions can you ask to clarify the type of care needed for clothing?
- What environmental issues are related to clothing maintenance?
- Who is responsible for the cleaning and repair of your clothing?
- How was this decision made in your family?
- What leadership skills can help you make decisions about clothing maintenance and storage?
- How do you determine whether it is more efficient to make minor clothing repairs, discard the item, or pay someone to make the repairs?
- What management skills do you need to keep a wardrobe of wearable clothes?
- What steps are involved in making basic repairs?
Other Related Standards
FCCLA National Programs
Power of One: A Better You
FCCLA: STAR Events (2019)
National Programs in Action
National Standards for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Apply time management, organizational, and process skills to prioritize tasks and achieve goals.
Apply consumer skills to providing and maintaining clothing.
Demonstrate professional skills in using traditional and technologically innovative equipment, tools, and supplies in textiles, fashion, and apparel construction, alteration, repair, and recycling.
Use appropriate industry products and materials for cleaning, pressing, and finishing textiles, fashion, and apparel.
Demonstrate basic skills for production, alteration, repair and recycling of textiles, fashion, and apparel.