2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Marketing Management (8132/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Providing an Overview of Marketing
- Define marketing and marketing management.
- Explain the value of marketing and its social impact.
- Trace the history of marketing.
- Explain the historical development of the marketing concept.
- Explain the marketing concept.
- Examine recent and emerging marketing trends from the past three to five years.
- Identify the role of product/service planning in marketing.
- Describe types of product-mix strategies.
- Identify the role of marketing information.
- Define marketing success.
Examining the Economic Environment of Marketing
- Explain the concept of economics and economic systems.
- Identify the basic economic questions.
- Identify the basic philosophy and characteristics of a free enterprise system.
- Compare the role of marketing in a free enterprise system to its role in other economic systems.
- Explain how the major sectors of the economy relate to each other.
- Identify economic indicators.
- Analyze the role of government in business.
- Explain the rights of the consumer, including privacy issues.
- Describe special-interest opportunities for marketing.
Marketing Applications in E-Commerce
- Describe uses of social media networks in marketing communication.
- Describe electronic commerce (e-commerce) and the three primary methods of marketing in e-commerce.
- Describe elements of an e-commerce presence.
- Examine trends in digital marketing.
- Differentiate marketing products/services on the Internet with marketing in a brick-and-mortar business.
- Identify methods for managing a digital reputation in a business and personal environment.
Exploring Concepts of Branding
Developing the Marketing Strategy
- Explain the importance of a comprehensive marketing strategy.
- Examine the elements of a marketing plan for products and services.
- Conduct a SWOT analysis to analyze the effects of competition on a given product/service.
- Explain the potential opportunities for and threats to the marketing strategy.
- Explain the purpose of a vision statement and a mission statement and their importance to a business.
- Explain company image and its importance.
- Explain the concept of positioning.
- Describe the competitive positioning of an existing product or service.
- Develop a new positioning plan or a rationale for maintaining the existing positioning plan for an existing product or service.
- Explain the importance of internal and external marketing and communications.
- Explain how hiring decisions affect company culture and vice versa.
- Explain the critical importance of customer service and its relationship to internal and external marketing.
- Describe the elements of a successful marketing strategy.
Understanding Product and Service Marketing
Examining Business-to-Business Markets
Exploring Marketing Research and Segmentation
- Explain the purpose of marketing research.
- Analyze the importance of using marketing research in marketing decision making.
- Determine the target market and competition for selected products/services.
- Explain the importance of market share.
- Explain the concept and value of market identification and segmentation.
- Explain customer segmentation.
- Conduct secondary data research.
- Conduct primary data research.
- Present marketing research findings in a written and an oral report.
- Describe security issues related to computer information systems used in marketing.
Managing Communication in Marketing
- Analyze the role of communication within an organization.
- Describe elements of and potential barriers to communication.
- Explain the importance of alliances/networking with other organizations.
- Describe the role of public relations.
- Describe various marketing media.
- Compare the benefits of various types of marketing media.
- Describe ways for a small organization to promote effectively and economically.
- Describe the relationship between marketing and operations.
- Describe the relationship between sales and marketing.
- Identify internal and external methods of promoting sales for a selected product or service.
- Develop a promotional plan or campaign for a business-to-business or consumer product or service.
Investigating the Product/Service Life Cycle
Pricing Products and Services
Managing Distribution and Inventory
- Explain channels of distribution for consumer and industrial products and services.
- Determine physical distribution and storage methods for a variety of products.
- Trace the channels of distribution for a selected product and service.
- Explain inventory control systems.
- Compare various inventory systems.
- Explain the stock-handling process.
- Explain the importance of managing productivity and inventory control accuracy.
- Explain how sales forecasting and inventory turnover affect each other.
- Explain how distribution and inventory control have evolved as a result of technology.
Marketing Products and Services Globally/Internationally
- Explain the nature and importance of global/international marketing.
- Identify the advantages and barriers to global/international marketing.
- Identify cultural differences and their impact on global/international marketing.
- Develop a global/international marketing strategy for a specific product or service.
Examining Nonprofit Marketing
Budgeting Marketing Efforts
Making Decisions and Solving Problems in Marketing
Examining the Organizational Structure
- Describe the major functions of a human resources department.
- Identify the elements and importance of a strategic staffing plan and employee evaluation.
- Describe the concept of a professional work ethic.
- Explain the concept and methods of employee motivation.
- Describe employee retention and termination.
- Evaluate an employee handbook.
- Appraise methods of conflict resolution.
- Describe methods/strategies for managing change in an organization.
- Identify the elements and importance of an employee evaluation.
Preparing for Certification
- Describe the process and requirements for obtaining industry certifications related to the Marketing Management course.
- Identify testing skills and strategies.
- Demonstrate ability to successfully complete selected practice examinations (e.g., practice questions similar to those on certification exams).
- Successful complete a College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test and/or an industry certification representative of skills learned in this course.
Developing a Career
- Explain the difference between a job and a career.
- Explain the importance of adaptability in developing a career.
- Research career trends and opportunities in marketing management.
- Explore postsecondary training and educational opportunities.
- Update résumé.
- Explain how to prepare for an interview.
- Practice interview techniques for a variety of situations.
- Identify potential employment barriers for nontraditional groups and ways to overcome the barriers.
- Explain the role of professional/trade organizations in career development.
- Explain the importance of continuing personal and professional development.
- Explain the risks of posting inappropriate information on social networking sites.
- Explain the positives of a professional online presence.