2020/2021 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Marketing, Advanced (8130/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Examining Marketing and Business
Communicating in the Workplace
Developing Professionalism in the Workplace
- Explain the effects of economic change on business and employment.
- Analyze the role of government in business and the economy.
- Describe the impact of global marketing on businesses in the United States.
- Describe the phases of the business cycle.
- Explain productivity and its effects on individual businesses and the economy as a whole.
Developing Management Skills
- Describe the functions and levels of management.
- Explain the process of hiring, orienting, and training employees.
- Identify strategies for motivating employees.
- Explain appropriate methods of communicating with employees.
- Explain the importance of managing a diverse workforce.
- Explain the process of handling employee complaints.
- Explain the process of remedial action.
- Outline a procedure for conducting an employee evaluation.
- Describe legal aspects of personnel management.
- Apply decision-making skills to management situations.
- Describe challenges of managing a global business.
- Explain the roles of financial statements and their importance in decision-making.
- Interpret financial statements.
- Explain the nature and importance of a budget.
- Create a marketing budget, using a spreadsheet/template.
Managing Marketing Information
- Explain the nature of sales forecasts.
- Conduct research using search engines and keywords.
- Use trade journals, periodicals, and electronic resources for research and professional development.
- Conduct a marketing research project.
- Prepare a marketing research report.
- Present marketing research findings and recommendations.
Developing Product/Service Planning Skills
Understanding Product/Service Positioning
Examining Channel Management
Pricing Products and Services
- Identify the psychological effects of pricing.
- Explain the impact of price on profitability.
- Explain the concept of markup/markdown and how it relates to profit and loss.
- Apply formulas for pricing to calculate markup and markdown.
- Calculate break-even point in units and dollars.
- Calculate gross and net profit.
- Explain how pricing is determined in not-for-profit organizations.
- Describe the roles of laws and ethics in pricing.
Applying the Promotional Mix
- Identify internal and external methods of promoting sales for a selected product/service.
- Identify communications channels to reinforce company image and support financial investment.
- Develop a promotional plan or campaign for a business-to-business or consumer product/service.
- Explain strategies for developing media outreach and relations.
- Identify types of social media that can be used to promote a business or products.
- Create a plan for introducing social media promotion.
Purchasing Products and Services
Implementing Risk Management
Selling Products and Services
Preparing for Business Operations
Developing a Career
- Research career trends and opportunities in marketing.
- Prepare a career development plan.
- Explore postsecondary training and educational opportunities.
- Update an electronic résumé and portfolio.
- Update a cover letter.
- Tailor interview techniques to a variety of companies.
- Describe the role of professional/trade organizations in career development.
- Demonstrate networking skills for professional development.