2020/2021 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Introduction to Marketing (8110/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Learning about Marketing
- Define marketing.
- Identify the components of a marketing process/cycle.
- Explain marketing as a service to the public.
- Explain marketing as a service to an organization.
- Identify components of the marketing mix.
- Identify marketing functions and their importance.
- Explain the impact of technology on marketing.
- Explain the concept of branding.
- Explain the marketing concept.
- Explain the historical development that led to the adoption of the marketing concept.
- Identify marketing trends.
- Use computer technology and software tools to perform marketing tasks.
Communicating in the Workplace
- Identify elements of effective communication.
- Address others in a professional manner.
- Demonstrate the handling of incoming and outgoing telephone calls and teleconferencing/web conferencing.
- Transcribe a message.
- Use correct grammar and vocabulary.
- Explain the effects of nonverbal communication on interactions with others.
- Explain the importance of mobile technology etiquette.
- Explain the importance of etiquette when sending email and text messages or in any online environment.
- Compose an email message.
- Identify elements of effective business writing.
- Explain constructive criticism.
Understanding Economics in Organizations
Exploring the Private Enterprise System
Exploring Promotional Activities in Marketing
Preparing for a Routine Sales Transaction
Completing a Sales Transaction
- Prepare for the customer (pre-approach).
- Approach the customer.
- Determine the customer's wants and needs.
- Present product or service features as customer benefits.
- Overcome the customer's objections.
- Close the sale.
- Use suggestion selling.
- Apply follow-up and relationship-building strategies.
- Identify various methods of handling payment for purchases.
- Process payment for a cash purchase.
Exploring Career Opportunities in Marketing
- Identify career opportunities in marketing.
- Identify products and services in a variety of marketing areas.
- Identify personal interests, personality traits, and skills.
- Research job descriptions related to various marketing careers.
- Follow the steps of the decision-making process to analyze possible career choices.
- Identify ethical work behavior.