Demonstrate the use of basic instrumentation in DNA analysis.
DefinitionDemonstration should include
- DNA extraction and purification from living tissue, following SOPs
- pipetting technique
- gel electrophoresis
- polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- What are the primary types of instruments and equipment used in forensic science?
- What purpose do the instruments serve?
- What safety practices are important when using the instruments of forensic science?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand the chemical and biochemical principles essential for life. Key concepts include
- water chemistry and its impact on life processes;
- the structure and function of macromolecules;
- the nature of enzymes; and
- the capture, storage, transformation, and flow of energy through the processes of photosynthesis and respiration.