Explain the purpose of goal setting in the treatment of injuries.
Explanation should distinguish between short-term and long-term goals, and goals should be written using the SMART goals format:
- What is goal setting?
- Why is goal setting important in the treatment of injuries?
- What is the difference between a long-term and short-term goal in injury treatment?
- How does the allied healthcare professional determine a realistic goal for injury treatment?
- How will the criteria for reaching the goal be determined?
- How will progress toward and completion of the goal be measured?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
The student will analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and organize information from a variety of credible resources to produce a research product.
- Frame, analyze, and synthesize information to solve problems, answer questions, and generate new knowledge.
- Analyze information gathered from diverse sources by identifying misconceptions, main and supporting ideas, conflicting information, point of view, or bias.
- Critically evaluate the accuracy, quality, and validity of the information.
- Cite sources for both quoted and paraphrased ideas using a standard method of documentation, such as that of the Modern Language Association (MLA) or the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Define the meaning and consequences of plagiarism and follow ethical and legal guidelines for gathering and using information.
- Demonstrate ethical use of the Internet.
Other Related Standards
HOSA Competitive Events
Health Professions Events
NASM-Certified Personal Trainer
Chapter 19 Lifestyle Modification and Behavioral Coaching
- Describe the characteristics of a positive client experience.
- Understand the stages of change model.
- Describe characteristics of what effective communication skills are.
- Describe the elements of effective SMART goal-setting techniques.