Research various sports medicine-related professions.
Research should include
- exploration of a variety of healthcare professions related to sports medicine
- defining duties, specialties, educational requirements, prerequisites, salaries, career ladder, personal qualities needed, licensing/certification, work environment
- ways to increase one’s marketability.
Example professions might include athletic trainer, personal fitness trainer, physician assistant, physical therapist, physician, exercise physiologist, nutritionist, massage therapist, and chiropractor.
- How do duties, scope of practice, and specialties vary among different sports medicine professions?
- How do salaries vary among different sports medicine professions?
- How do educational requirements vary among different sports medicine professions?
- How do licensure and certification requirements vary among different sports medicine professions?
- How do personal qualities needed vary among different sports medicine professions?
- How do work environment and career potential vary among different sports medicine professions?
- How does employment marketability vary among different sports medicine professions?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
The student will analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and organize information from a variety of credible resources to produce a research product.
- Frame, analyze, and synthesize information to solve problems, answer questions, and generate new knowledge.
- Analyze information gathered from diverse sources by identifying misconceptions, main and supporting ideas, conflicting information, point of view, or bias.
- Critically evaluate the accuracy, quality, and validity of the information.
- Cite sources for both quoted and paraphrased ideas using a standard method of documentation, such as that of the Modern Language Association (MLA) or the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Define the meaning and consequences of plagiarism and follow ethical and legal guidelines for gathering and using information.
- Demonstrate ethical use of the Internet.
Other Related Standards
HOSA Competitive Events
Health Professions Events
Health Career Display
NASM-Certified Personal Trainer
Chapter 20 Developing a Successful Personal Training Business
- Describe the qualities and characteristics of uncompromising customer service.
- Describe strategies for finding an ideal workplace.
- Understand the process for writing a resume.
- Understand the four Ps of marketing.
- Understand basic membership sales techniques, including strategies for solicitation of new sales and how to close sales.