Assess vital signs.
Assessment should include measuring heart rate, blood pressure, respirations, and body temperature.
- What are vital signs? Why are they important?
- What is heart rate? What are the steps required in measuring heart rate? What are appropriate methods of measuring heart rate? Why is measuring heart rate important? When are appropriate times to measure heart rate?
- What is blood pressure? What are the steps required in measuring blood pressure? What are appropriate methods of measuring blood pressure? What are alternative methods of measuring blood pressure? Why is measuring blood pressure important? When are appropriate times to measure blood pressure?
- What are respirations? What are the steps required in measuring respirations? What are appropriate methods of measuring respirations? Why is measuring respirations important?
- What is body temperature? What are the appropriate methods of assessing body temperature? What are the steps required in the various methods of measuring body temperature? Why is obtaining body temperature important?
Other Related Standards
HOSA Competitive Events
Health Science Events
Health Professions Events
NASM-Certified Personal Trainer
Chapter 3 The Cardiorespiratory System
- Describe the structure and function of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
- Explain how each of these systems relates to human movement.
- Describe how the cardiovascular and respiratory systems work in unison.
- Explain the influence that dysfunctional breathing can have on the human movement system.
Chapter 6 Fitness Assessment
- Explain the components of and rationale for an integrated fitness assessment.
- Understand how to administer a health history questionnaire and then from that be able to stratify a client’s overall risk for fitness assessment.
- Understand the importance of posture, how it relates to movement observation, and how to assess it.
- Understand how to perform a comprehensive health-related fitness assessment, obtain subjective and objective information about clients, and how to use the information collected to help design an exercise program.