Explain the basic principles and importance of proprioception.
Explanation should include a description of the importance of balance and kinesthetic awareness in proprioception. It should also include the role of proprioception in injury/reinjury prevention.
- What is balance?
- What sensory information affects balance? What other conditions affect balance?
- What is kinesthetic awareness?
- What is proprioception?
- How is proprioception affected by the senses?
- How does proprioception help prevent injury/reinjury?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
Other Related Standards
HOSA Competitive Events
Health Science Events
NASM-Certified Personal Trainer
Chapter 15 Introduction to Exercise Modalities
- Define and describe the safe and effective use of selected exercise training methods, including various forms of resistance and proprioceptive modalities.
- Describe how these exercise training modalities can safely and effectively be incorporated into a training program for a variety of clients.
- Describe how these exercise training modalities can be systematically used within the Optimum Performance Training (OPT™) Model.
Chapter 10 Balance Training Concepts
- Define balance and describe its role in performance and injury risk.
- Discuss the importance of balance training.
- Design a progressive balance training program for clients in any level of training.
- Understand and incorporate the principles of selected research outcomes when designing a balance training program.
- Perform, describe, and instruct various balance training exercises.
Chapter 9 Core Training Concepts
- Understand the importance of the core musculature.
- Differentiate between the stabilization system and the movement system.
- Discuss the importance of core training.
- Design a core training program for clients at any level of training.
- Perform, describe, and instruct various core training exercises.