Explain safe techniques to enhance joint range of motion of major muscle groups.
Explanation should include safe stretching techniques appropriate to the targeted muscle groups. It should include techniques to increase joint range of motion, using a variety of equipment and techniques reflecting age, sport/activity, gender, and other individual considerations. An explanation should accompany each demonstrated technique.
- What are key elements of safe and appropriate stretching techniques?
- Why are proper stretching techniques important in injury prevention?
- How do static, ballistic, dynamic, and PNF stretching differ? How could each be used in an injury prevention program?
- What types of equipment are used to enhance joint range of motion?
- How is joint range of motion measured?
- How can flexibility be enhanced in situations with little or no traditional equipment?
- How do age, sport/activity, gender, and other individual considerations factor in the development of a flexibility program?
- What is the relationship between the agonist and antagonist in joint range of motion?
Related Standards of Learning
- Use critical thinking to generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, and evaluative questions about the text(s).
- Identify and synthesize resources to make decisions, complete tasks, and solve specific problems.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Analyze false premises claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
Other Related Standards
HOSA Competitive Events
Health Science Events
Health Professions Events
NASM-Certified Personal Trainer
Chapter 7 Flexibility Training Concepts
- Explain the effects of muscle imbalances on the human movement system (kinetic chain).
- Provide a scientific rationale for the use of an integrated flexibility training program.
- Differentiate between the various types of flexibility techniques.
- Perform and instruct appropriate flexibility techniques for given situations.