Explain how nutritional needs are impacted by physical activity.
DefinitionExplanation should include impact of physical activity on hydration, body-mass index (BMI), caloric balance equation, and the preparticipation meal.
- What are the consequences of exercising in a dehydrated state?
- What is an ergogenic aid? What are the consequences of abusing ergogenic aids such as anabolic steroids?
- What factors should be considered before taking “nutritional” supplements for performance enhancement?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts including employment documents and technical writing.
- Apply information from texts to clarify understanding of concepts.
- Read and correctly interpret an application for employment, workplace documents, or an application for college admission.
- Analyze technical writing for clarity.
- Paraphrase and synthesize ideas within and between texts.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences on explicit and implied information using textual support.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Analyze false premises, claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, sarcasm, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, evaluative, synthesizing, and critical thinking questions about the text(s).
Other Related Standards
NASM-Certified Personal Trainer
- Review fitness assessment considerations.
- Review concepts for program design.
- Describe hydration concepts.
- Identify fitness technologies and trends.
- Describe behavior change strategies for client results.
- Describe exam taking best practices and preparation.
Chapter 17 Nutrition
- Describe the macronutrients and their functions.
- Describe how the macronutrient composition of an individual’s food intake can affect satiety, compliance, daily energy expenditure, and weight control.
- Provide basic nutritional recommendations for optimizing health.
- Answer questions, handle issues, and dispel myths regarding the relationship of macronutrients to the successful alteration of body composition.
Chapter 18 Supplementation
- Define what dietary supplements are and describe the various classes and uses of them.
- Understand basic supplemental recommendations for optimizing health.
- Respond to questions about dietary supplements based on objective, scientific facts.
- Define the term ergogenic and common substances used to enhance performance.
Chapter 4 Exercise Metabolism and Bioenergetics
- Describe the primary methods of how the body produces energy for exercise.
- Differentiate between aerobic and anaerobic metabolism.
- Distinguish which energy pathways predominate for various intensities and durations of exercise.
- Understand the interaction of carbohydrate, fat, and protein as fuels for exercise.
- State the differences in the energy use during steady state and exhaustive exercise.
- Discriminate between the energy requirements of steady state versus intermittent exercise.
- Describe basic training-induced adaptations in energy production.