2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Design, Multimedia, and Web Technologies, Advanced (6631/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Enhancing Project-Management Skills
Designing and Creating Advanced Graphic Design Projects
- Select appropriate software for a graphic design project.
- Apply principles of design, layout, and typography to an advanced graphic design project.
- Convert graphic elements and text to compatible formats for integration into publications.
- Create a variety of specialized documents.
- Analyze options and costs for printing a graphic design project.
Designing and Creating Advanced Interactive Multimedia Projects
Examining Internet Technologies
Designing and Creating Advanced Websites
- Create an advanced website by applying accepted design principles.
- Critique an advanced website according to accepted design principles.
- Examine new and emerging trends in website design.
- Create an advanced website, using design software and/or a programming language.
- Use client-side and server-side scripting to create database-driven websites and applications.
- Incorporate search engine optimization (SEO) techniques in websites.
- Proofread and edit an advanced website.
- Test an advanced website.
- Describe the process for publishing a website.
- Demonstrate publishing, updating, and maintaining an advanced website.
- Assess the effects of new and emerging technologies on web use.
- Identify the basic components of an e-commerce website.
- Explore the use of communication tools.
Complying with Laws and Professional Ethics
- Comply with copyright laws when creating advanced digital media, multimedia, and website design projects.
- Demonstrate avoidance of unethical/inappropriate use of elements in advanced projects.
- Comply with licensing agreements pertaining to software usage.
- Demonstrate procedures to guard against computer crimes.
- Describe design of websites for accessibility and accommodation of persons with special needs.
Relating Classroom Applications to Business and Industry
- Describe new and emerging trends in digital media technologies.
- Explain the importance of digital media to business and industry.
- Create a design team project for a business/industry client.
- Deliver a presentation according to the principles of effective communication.
- Critique a presentation in accordance with the components of effective presentations.
Preparing for Industry Certification
- Describe the process and requirements for obtaining industry certifications related to the Advanced Design, Multimedia, and Web Technologies course.
- Identify testing skills/strategies for a certification examination.
- Demonstrate ability to successfully complete selected practice examinations (e.g., practice questions similar to those on certification exams).
- Successfully complete an industry certification examination representative of skills learned in this course (e.g., MOS, IC3, NOCTI).