2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Design, Multimedia, and Web Technologies (6630/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Demonstrating Knowledge of Hardware, Software, and Operating Systems
- Compare word processing, graphic design, multimedia creation, and web page creation.
- Evaluate operating systems and hardware for compatibility with common software applications.
- Evaluate software used in graphic design, multimedia creation, and web page creation.
- Use technical support to resolve problems encountered during the creation of digital projects.
- Apply appropriate method to back up files.
Applying Principles of Layout and Design
Designing and Creating Print and Graphic Design Projects
- Create original content for a digitally designed project.
- Demonstrate proofing skills through use of online tools and individual critiquing to check for format, style, correctness, and clarity.
- Import text, graphics, tables, and charts for use in a print or graphic design project.
- Use time-saving features of print and/or graphic design programs.
- Create documents utilizing a variety of layouts including multiple columns, pages, and element positions.
- Create a variety of print materials.
- Create a document in a format appropriate for electronic distribution.
- Convert a print document to digital format through scanning.
- Critique a project to determine whether it meets the designated guidelines.
Designing and Creating Multimedia Presentations/Projects
- Identify the components of an effective multimedia project.
- Create a multimedia project.
- Use master slides, templates, and/or themes.
- Create an object, using graphic design software.
- Incorporate charts, graphs, and/or tables into a multimedia project.
- Enhance a multimedia project with advanced features.
- Incorporate elements from other sources into a multimedia project.
- Edit a multimedia project.
- Create handouts and/or other visuals for a multimedia presentation.
- Deliver a multimedia presentation.
- Critique a multimedia presentation to determine whether it meets the designated guidelines.
Designing and Creating Websites
- Evaluate the methods of creating websites.
- Apply structural requirements (information architecture) for development of a website.
- Create a website, using design software or a programming language.
- Apply website design features.
- Create hyperlinks.
- Proofread and edit a website.
- Test a website.
- Explain or demonstrate publishing, updating, and maintaining a website.
- Describe methods and tools used in digital marketing.
- Compare content management systems commonly used in the business world.
Exploring Legal and Ethical Issues
- Explore security issues related to computer and Internet technology.
- Describe copyright issues and laws related to creating graphic design, multimedia, and website design projects.
- Identify situations in which use of elements in projects is legal but may be unethical/inappropriate.
- Describe licensing agreements associated with software usage.
Preparing for Industry Certification
- Describe the process and requirements for obtaining industry certifications related to the Design, Multimedia, and Web Technologies course.
- Identify testing skills/strategies for a certification examination.
- Demonstrate ability to successfully complete selected practice examinations (e.g., practice questions similar to those on certification exams).
- Successfully complete an industry certification examination representative of skills learned in this course (e.g., MOS, IC3, NOCTI).
Developing Employability Skills
- Explore careers in the graphic design, multimedia, and website design fields.
- Investigate uses of graphic design, multimedia, and web technologies in business and industry.
- Investigate new and emerging trends in design, multimedia, and web technologies, including digital technologies.
- Create or update a résumé.
- Create a professional, electronic portfolio.
- Describe basic employment activities.
- Identify potential employment barriers for nontraditional groups and ways to overcome the barriers.