2018/2019 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Keyboarding (Middle School) (6150-9/9 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Personal Qualities and People Skills
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate effective speaking and listening skills.
- Demonstrate effective reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of workplace organizations, systems, and climates.
- Demonstrate lifelong-learning skills.
- Demonstrate job-acquisition and advancement skills.
- Demonstrate time-, task-, and resource-management skills.
- Demonstrate job-specific mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate customer-service skills.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Technology Knowledge and Skills
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Understanding Computer Basics
- Identify computer system components.
- Describe ergonomic and repetitive strain injury (RSI) guidelines related to safe computer use.
- Maintain workstation, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Start and exit software programs following correct procedures.
- Input data and commands using peripherals (e.g., keyboard, mouse, scanner, audio/video input, and voice recognition).
- Manipulate data/software/operating system using ribbons, launchers, icons, and drop-down menus, and mouse.
- Use external storage device (i.e., Universal Serial Bus [USB]), and online storage (e.g., Google Drive, webpages, email) management techniques, such as copy, move, store, rename, open, save, delete, and create/manipulate folders.
Developing Keyboarding Skills
- Key alphabetic, numeric, and symbolic information using a touch system and correct techniques.
- Improve keyboarding techniques.
- Increase keyboarding speed and/or accuracy.
- Proofread copy.
- Compose business documents.
- Key and format business documents.
- Edit copy.
- Create addresses on labels and envelopes.
- Produce documents incorporating simple graphic elements, such as tables and graphs.
- Obtain assistance for preparing documents from electronic and hard-copy references and documentation.