2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Keyboarding Middle (6147/6 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Understanding Computer Basics
- Identify computer system components.
- Describe ergonomic and repetitive strain injury (RSI) guidelines related to safe computer use.
- Maintain workstation, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Start and exit software programs following correct procedures.
- Input data and commands using peripherals (e.g., keyboard, mouse, scanner, audio/video input, and voice recognition).
- Manipulate data/software/operating system using ribbons, launchers, icons, and drop-down menus, and mouse.
- Use external storage device (i.e., Universal Serial Bus [USB]), and online storage (e.g., Google Drive, webpages, email) management techniques, such as copy, move, store, rename, open, save, delete, and create/manipulate folders.
Developing Keyboarding Skills
- Key alphabetic, numeric, and symbolic information using a touch system and correct techniques.
- Improve keyboarding techniques.
- Increase keyboarding speed and/or accuracy.
- Proofread copy.
- Compose business documents.
- Key and format business documents.
- Edit copy.
- Create addresses on labels and envelopes.
- Produce documents incorporating simple graphic elements, such as tables and graphs.
- Obtain assistance for preparing documents from electronic and hard-copy references and documentation.