Compare investment and savings options.
DefinitionComparison should explain the concept of present value/future value as it applies to investment and savings options. It should also include the following characteristics of each option, as well as the risks vs. potential return of each option:
- Savings options (including regular savings accounts, certificates of deposit, and money market funds or accounts) are available from commercial banks, savings banks, savings and loan associations, credit unions, and brokerage firms securities.
- Investment options (including stocks and bonds, government savings bonds, treasury securities, mutual funds, real estate, trusts, annuities, and retirement plans) are available from commercial banks, brokerage firms, and employer-related systems.
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate nonfiction texts.
- Analyze text features and organizational patterns to evaluate the meaning of texts.
- Recognize an author’s intended audience and purpose for writing.
- Skim materials to develop an overview and locate information.
- Compare and contrast informational texts for intent and content.
- Interpret and use data and information in maps, charts, graphs, timelines, tables, and diagrams.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences on explicit and implied information using textual support as evidence.
- Analyze and synthesize information in order to solve problems, answer questions, and generate new knowledge.
- Analyze ideas within and between selections providing textual evidence.
- Summarize, paraphrase, and synthesize ideas, while maintaining meaning and a logical sequence of events, within and between texts.
- Use reading strategies throughout the reading process to monitor comprehension.
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts including employment documents and technical writing.
- Apply information from texts to clarify understanding of concepts.
- Read and correctly interpret an application for employment, workplace documents, or an application for college admission.
- Analyze technical writing for clarity.
- Paraphrase and synthesize ideas within and between texts.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences on explicit and implied information using textual support.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Analyze false premises, claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, sarcasm, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, evaluative, synthesizing, and critical thinking questions about the text(s).
The student will solve
- multistep linear and quadratic equations in one variables algebraically;
- quadratic equations in one variables algebraically;
- literal equations for a specified variable;
- systems of two linear equations in two variables algebraically and graphically; and
- practical problems involving equations and systems of equations.
The student will collect and analyze data, determine the equation of the curve of best fit in order to make predictions, and solve practical problems, using mathematical models of linear and quadratic functions.
The student will collect and analyze data, determine the equation of the curve of best fit in order to make predictions, and solve practical problems, using mathematical models of linear, quadratic, and exponential functions.
Other Related Standards
Economics and Personal Finance Standards of Learning
The student will demonstrate knowledge of investment and savings planning by
- comparing the impact of simple interest vs. compound interest on savings;
- comparing and contrasting investment and savings options;
- explaining costs and income sources for investments;
- examining the fundamental workings of Social Security and the system's effects on retirement planning;
- contrasting alternative retirement plans; and
- describing how the stock market works.