Differentiate among sources of income.
DefinitionDifferentiation should include salaries, hourly wages, overtime pay, tips, commissions, bonuses, and piece rate pay, as well as earned vs. unearned income.
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate nonfiction texts.
- Analyze text features and organizational patterns to evaluate the meaning of texts.
- Recognize an author’s intended audience and purpose for writing.
- Skim materials to develop an overview and locate information.
- Compare and contrast informational texts for intent and content.
- Interpret and use data and information in maps, charts, graphs, timelines, tables, and diagrams.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences on explicit and implied information using textual support as evidence.
- Analyze and synthesize information in order to solve problems, answer questions, and generate new knowledge.
- Analyze ideas within and between selections providing textual evidence.
- Summarize, paraphrase, and synthesize ideas, while maintaining meaning and a logical sequence of events, within and between texts.
- Use reading strategies throughout the reading process to monitor comprehension.
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate a variety of nonfiction texts including employment documents and technical writing.
- Apply information from texts to clarify understanding of concepts.
- Read and correctly interpret an application for employment, workplace documents, or an application for college admission.
- Analyze technical writing for clarity.
- Paraphrase and synthesize ideas within and between texts.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences on explicit and implied information using textual support.
- Analyze multiple texts addressing the same topic to determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Analyze false premises, claims, counterclaims, and other evidence in persuasive writing.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, sarcasm, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, evaluative, synthesizing, and critical thinking questions about the text(s).
Other Related Standards
Economics and Personal Finance Standards of Learning
The student will demonstrate knowledge of income earning and reporting by
- examining how personal choices about education, training, skill development, and careers impact earnings;
- differentiating among sources of income;
- calculating net pay;
- investigating employee benefits and incentives; and
- completing a standard W-4 form.